Vegan Creamy Tomato Soup
Homemade Vegetable Broth
Adapted from http://www.thenatos.com/2012/12/the-absolute-best-tomato-soup-ive-ever.html#.Uq4QfGRDsxt
Yield: 8 cups
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 cup diced onion (about half an onion)
1/2 cup diced carrot (about 2 carrots)
1/2 cup diced celery (about 2 ribs)
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
2 (14.5 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, preferably fire roasted (undrained)
2 cups vegetable broth
2 tablespoons vegan margarine
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
2 dried bay leaves
1 cup raw, unsalted cashews
1 cup vegetable broth
1. Heat a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
2. Pour in olive oil and add onion, carrot, celery, garlic, dried basil, salt, black pepper and crushed red pepper; cook for 10 minutes, until vegetables are soft.
3. Add the tomatoes with the juice, 2 cups vegetable broth, margarine, balsamic vinegar and bay leaves; bring to a boil.
4. Cover, turn down heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
5. While the soup is cooking, pour cashews in a small saucepan and add enough water to cover them; bring to a boil and cook for 7 minutes.
6. Drain the cashews and add them to a blender.
7. Pour 1 cup of vegetable broth in the blender and blend until it's completely smooth with no grittiness, about 5 minutes depending on your blender.
8. Pour the cashew cream into another container or bowl; set it aside.
9. Once the soup has cooked for 30 minutes, remove the bay leaf and allow it to cool, about 20 minutes.
10. Pour the soup in the blender in batches and blend until smooth.
11. Return soup to the pot and stir in the cashew cream and heat through.
Get the latest videos from Vegan Cooking with Love! http://goo.gl/hPwGqz
STAY IN TOUCH
Website | http://vegancookingwithlove.com
Facebook | http://facebook.com/vegancookingwithlove
Google+ | https://plus.google.com/+VeganCookingWithLove/
Instagram | vegancookingwithlove
Pinterest | http://pinterest.com/vegancookingwl/
Twitter | http://twitter.com/vegancookingwl