Get the recipe for Vegan Apple Crumb Pie:
Make a homemade vegan pie crust:
...or by Marie Callendar's or Kroger's house brand - They are both vegan!
Inspiration: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/apple-crumb-pie/ (adapted)
Rationale for pouring boiling water over apples:
1 (9 inch) deep dish pie shell
3 pounds of apples, sliced about ¼ inch thick (I use a mixture of granny smith and honey crisp or gala apples)
2 ½ quarts of boiling water
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 cup sugar
3 tablespoons flour
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon salt
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
5 tablespoons vegan margarine
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F.
2. Place apple slices in a large bowl or pot.
3. Pour boiling water directly over them. Cover and set aside at room temperature for ten minutes.
4. Drain apples well and let sit in a colander in the sink, tossing occasionally until completely dry, about 10 minutes.
5. While the apples are draining use the same bowl and combine sugar, cinnamon, salt, and flour.
6. In another bowl or in a food processor, mix 1 cup of flour and 1 cup of brown sugar.
7. Cut in margarine until mixture is crumbly.
8. Add the apples to the bowl with the sugar/cinnamon/flour/salt along with the vanilla extract.
9. Toss until the apples are coated evenly.
10. Spoon mixture into a pastry shell.
11. Sprinkle the brown sugar/flour mixture over the apple filling.
12. Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
13. Remove the foil and bake for another 30 minutes until the top is golden brown.
14. Cool on a wire rack for at least 2 hours before cutting.
Vegan Cooking with Love......................................
YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/VeganCookingWithLove
Subscribe to get the latest videos: