Get the recipe for Vegan Mac and Cheese:
http://vegnews.com/articles/page.do?pageId=40&catId=10 (adapted slightly)
4 quarts water
1 tablespoon sea salt
8 ounces (2 cups) macaroni
5 slices of bread, torn into large pieces
2 ½ tablespoons vegan margarine
¼ cup shallots, peeled and thinly sliced or chopped
2 cups red or yellow potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced or chopped
1/2 cup carrots, peeled and thinly sliced or chopped
1 cup onion, peeled and thinly sliced or chopped
2 cups water
1/2 cup raw cashews, soaked overnight or boiled for 7 minutes
1/3 cup vegan margarine
2 tablespoons lemon juice, freshly squeezed
2 teaspoons sea salt
1/2 teaspoon garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon paprika
¼ teaspoon cayenne
1. Preheat oven to 350
2. In a saucepan, add shallots, potatoes, carrots, onion, and water, and bring to a boil.
3. Cover the pan, lower the heat and simmer for 10 minutes. If you chop the vegetables, simmer them for 15 minutes. They should be very soft.
4. In a blender, add the softened vegetables and cooking water, the cashews, salt, garlic, 1/3 cup margarine, mustard, lemon juice, black pepper, and cayenne.
5. Process until perfectly smooth.
6. In a large pot, bring the water and salt to a boil.
7. Add macaroni and cook until al dente. In a colander, drain pasta. Set aside.
Make Bread Crumbs
8. In a food processor, make bread crumbs by pulverizing the bread and 2 tablespoons margarine to a medium-fine texture. Set aside.
Assemble and Bake
9. In a large bowl, toss the cooked pasta and blended cheese sauce until completely coated.
10. Spread mixture into a 8x8 casserole dish, sprinkle with prepared bread crumbs, and dust with paprika.
11. Bake for 30 minutes or until the cheese sauce is bubbling and the top has turned golden brown.
Vegan Cooking with Love......................................
YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/VeganCookingWithLove
Subscribe to get the latest videos: